Private Eyes is about lies, deceit, and affairs. Actors, Directors, and a therapist. Its an interesting way Art uses art to describe reality. An affair arises between Lisa an actress (Christy Lopez) and her director Adrian (Joseph West). And when Matthew (Blake Catherwood) who is Lisa's husband finds out, the lies and truth become all jumbled. Add to the mix a self proclaimed private eye, Cory (Rosie Snow) you get complex chaos. I like to call it real.
Staring
Blake Catherwood as MATTHEW
Christy Lopez as LISA
Joseph West as ADRIAN
Rosie Snow as Cory
Mark Hisler as Frank
Art is an interesting reflection of reality. This play that My good friend is in (Rosie Snow, who plays Cory) shows just that. Though it is said to be a comedy, and would be pretty funny if taken at face value, to me was anything but. I have seen so many plays within the last few months, and with the exception of maybe "How I learned to Drive" (Directed by Ryan Jason Cook), this one stirred probably the most emotion. I do not believe that there is a human being out there that has not felt the pain of a loves betrayal, or worse betrayed one that we love. Because of this I will say that if we can ever consider this a comedy, it is a very very dark one at that. I was rendered helpless of my own guilt within the first 10 minutes of this play, and from the opening scene my heart wanted to pound out of my chest. Art is amazing and chilling at the same time. Lust, Mistrust, stupid young decisions, all these things which I would have once thought were only high school antics, I see are a prevalent part of modern adult life. With lines like, "You don't just tell someone the truth!" and "Honesty should not be an afterthought.", "Then what?", "A last resort!" An affair, lust in essence which turns to an action. What is it? The fear of being caught, it hurt to watch. "Nothing good can come of him knowing." And there are it sets up for the crossroads of something that most of us find out too late in life. Lies do not hurt, the truth of the lies is what hurts, the actions, the deceit, that is what hurts. But the truth is of the utmost importance. At a point in the play, the Husband (Matthew played by Black Catherwood) says that when damage like this is done, just give up. I was filled with rage to hear this! I wanted to scream "FIGHT!", fight for love. And then it comes, to quote Buddha, "There are three things that can not long be hidden, The sun, The Moon, and the Truth." See all these things, lust, desire, a searching a longing, these are all things we have experienced. And in this play we find the anti-fairy tale, which I like to call reality. Some people are just Searching for disaster without consequence. Believing they are above the laws of reality. (I know I was there once). It makes you wonder why people scoff at Lust, Desire, Envy, Jealousy, Suspicion, and Passion. You can point a finger at all these things, but we are all guilty of them, This play blindly looks at what so many choose to ignore in reality. What we choose to look past and feel we are above, and in reality what will eventually be shoved in your face. And what some will simply consider life, "A bit of love, a few laughs, and then.... Death." really comes to light as nothing simple at all. Maybe our regrets grow from misplaced hope, Temptation which can translate to lies and destruction. Things that start out as simple temptation could turn to all those things if given into. They refer to a storm, which is truly a woman scorn. As a man any storm first appears to be a woman. But this shows that no matter what gender, storms are created by humans. Affairs touch me personally, see we have all had them, a glance, a touch, a thought in our minds. To bad some are not strong enough to resist the urge to act upon them. But our fantasies can sometimes take control. See Fantasy, lust, temptation is the true enemy of our hearts, of love itself. So here's to the truth at all costs. If you have learned what that statement means, then you know true pain. And if you understand those morals, and those emotions, this play will not just impress, but touch you. But I guess many hide from the truth, but the truth kills eventually, even if not in the physical sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment